A medieval castle and its formal garden
Located in the commune of Crots, the castle was built in the Middle Ages and remodelled in the 16th century. Its interior decorations date from the 19th century and were designed by Joseph Roman.
The castle was completely renovated at the beginning of the 21st century, bringing to light the writings of Joachim Martin, recounting the life of small-town society at the end of the 19th century.
In 1792, the estate passed to Jean-François Cressy, former royal bailiff of Embrun and commissioner of war for the revolutionary government, and then to the Berthe family, who created the avenue du castle.
A public auction was held in 1876, won by Joseph Roman1.
He had renovation work carried out to make it his residence and died in 1924. His heirs retained ownership of the castle until 1981.
The castle, the terrace and the old garden were listed as Historic Monuments by decree on 1 February 1989.
Jacques and Sharon Peureux bought the estate and carried out major works between 1999 and 2003 to create several guest rooms, seminar and reception rooms and a Provençal-inspired garden.