A medieval vestige in the Hautes-Alpes
Originally a watchtower built by the Knights of St John of Jerusalem in the 13th century, the land in 1322 belonged to Arnaud de Trians. He became the first lord of Tallard to build a fortified castle from the existing building (ruins of the current dwelling).
Follow in the footsteps of the Clermont-Tonnerre family, who restored the old fortress into a fine residence, adding the Guard's Quarters, the Seigneurial Chapel, the gatehouse and the Garenne park.
This imposing fortress withstood numerous battles and assaults during the Wars of Religion, as well as the terrible fire of 1692, when the Duke of Savoy and his troops attacked the castle and set it on fire.
Left abandoned until 1897, it was bought by Joseph Roman, a historian and archaeologist. In 1927, the castle was sold to Countess Blanche de Clermont Tonnerre, who worked to bring it back to life until her death in 1944. The castle was inherited by her great-niece, Marie Christine de Bourbon Sicile, who was only 10 years old at the time and unable to maintain it. The commune of Tallard bought the castle in 1957.
In 1958, the Guard's Quarters was classified as a Historic Monument, marking the start of a period of restoration work carried out under the aegis of the "Comité de sauvegarde du château de Tallard", an offshoot of the Société d'Études des Hautes-Alpes.
An emphyteutic lease for 99 years was signed in 1964, authorising the Société d'Études to continue its restoration and protection work: the entire château was classified in 1969.
The lease was finally terminated in June 2012, with the commune of Tallard taking over full ownership of the castle.